San Luis Valley Great Outdoors (SLVGO) is a regional cooperative initiative to create and implement a long-term and continually developing plan for trails and outdoor recreation in the six counties of the San Luis Valley.
Over 30 organizations from throughout the Valley came together to create SLVGO. From that collaboration, came a list of priorities for the next ten years:
- Improve community wellness through enhanced in-town recreation facilities.
- Connect, expand, and enhance trail systems throughout the San Luis Valley.
- Grow more recreation programs and activities specifically tailored to San Luis Valley youth.
- Expand water-based recreation.
- Expand opportunities for winter recreation.
- Promote the San Luis Valley’s recreational opportunities and increase information sharing about what there is to see and do in the Valley.
The San Luis Valley Trails and Recreation Master Plan created in 2014 provides communities with a tool kit of nine strategies that focus on best practices from communities that have had successful trail and outdoor recreation projects. These, along with the San Luis Valley Trails and Recreation Master Plan are available at www.slvgo.com .